Marshall Granger Jewelers will help you find the perfect diamond for your style and budget.
Before you choose a diamond you should understand some key concepts that will influence your choice. The most important thing to remember is that size (carat weight) is not the only thing that determines a diamond’s value. In other words, bigger does not automatically mean better. At Marshall Granger Jewelers we want you to learn what to look for, and we’ll be there to help you make the right selection.
All four Cs- Cut, Color, Clarity and Carat Weight must be considered together
in order to determine the right diamond for you.
the four Cs of diamonds — cut, color, clarity, and carat weight People often think that a diamond’s cut is the same as its shape. However, cut describes a diamond’s light performance, dimensions and finish.
Diamond Shapes clockwise:
Round, Heart, Marquis, Pear, Oval, Emerald, Princess (center). Read more about diamond shapes.
Shape refers to the overall outline of the diamond when viewed from the top. In other words the it is the shape the diamond has been cut into.
Below: a princess cut diamond set in platinum.
The cut of a diamond has the most effect on its sparkle, or brilliance. Even if the diamond has perfect color and clarity, a poor cut can make a diamond look dull. Most diamonds are cut round with a full 58 facets, and a good cut, or make, has more scintillation, more sparkle. Although the cut of the diamond may affect the value of the diamond, the shape, is largely a matter of personal preference and does not affect the value significantly. The skill of the cutter allows the diamond to be cut in such a way as to permit the maximum amount of light to be reflected through the diamond. That’s another reason it is important to work with a knowledgeable jeweler when choosing a diamond. Marshall Granger Jewelers will help you choose a great diamond that is cut to make it dazzlingly beautiful.
Diamonds with very little color are the most highly valued and are priced accordingly. Even a little color can diminish a diamond’s brilliance. Diamonds divide light into a spectrum of colors and reflect this light as colorful flashes called fire. The less color in a diamond, the more colorful the fire, and the better the color grade. Out of the 4 C’s, color and cut are the two most important characteristics of a diamond. Do not compromise on color. Click here for more on diamond colors.
Clarity is graded based on the number, location, size, and type of the flaws, called inclusions, found in a diamond.
Right: A brilliant SI1 round diamond
Diamonds become increasingly rare at higher clarity gradings. Only about 20 percent of all diamonds mined have a clarity rating high enough for the diamond to be considered appropriate for use as a gemstone; the other 80 percent are relegated to industrial use. Of that top 20 percent, a significant portion contains an inclusion or inclusions that are visible to the naked eye upon close inspection
The weight of a diamond is measured in carats. Historically the carat is supposed to have been derived from the weight of locust bean or carob bean seeds, from the Greek Keraton Since larger diamonds are more rare than smaller diamonds, diamond value tends to rise exponentially with carat weight.
One carat is divided into 100 “points,” so that a diamond of 75 points weighs 0.75. The relationship between how large a diamond looks and its actual weight can be deceptive. For well-proportioned, round diamonds the size (diameter)-weight relationships are given above (The diamond images are not actual sizes, and their proportional differences are only approximate.). As examples, a 1.00ct. stone should normally be about 6.5mm in diameter, a 3.00ct. would be 9.3mm, etc.